The industry report OTT VIDEO SERVICES presents highlights, key trends and technical challenges facing those companies already offering OTT services versus those that are only in the planning stages of OTT delivery.
The report findings based on responses from almost 500 media industry professionals are as follows:
- OTT viewership will exceed traditional viewing by 2020.
- Within the next five years, viewership hours of live linear streaming over-the-top (OTT) video will surpass those of traditional broadcast TV
- More than a quarter of participants expect OTT year-over-year revenue growth in 2016 to 2017 to increase as much as 25%,
- Two-Thirds of respondents indicated that OTT-related services would account for more than a quarter of their overall business over the next three years.
- Bandwidth limitation challenges are giving way to concerns around quality of service and quality of experience
- Viewers continue to show they want the flexibility to consume content on multiple screens.
WHEN WILL OTT REPLACE TV?
They asked participants of the survey when live-linear streaming OTT viewership hours will exceed typical broadcast TV viewing levels.
For those respondents who currently offer OTT services, the “never” choice made up approximately 5% of responses, while it made up 8% of responses from those who aren’t currently offering OTT services. The top 4 responses are shown in the table below, broken down by those who currently offer OTT services versus those that do not offer OTT services.
The overall percentages are fairly consistent across all 486 respondents. In fact, a majority of those respondents whose companies don’t offer OTT services today were likely to think that OTT viewership hours will exceed typical broadcast TV viewing levels within the next four years. A full 69% of respondents overall feel this mark will be reached no later than 2022, a potentially rapid sea change for the overall media industry in less than five years.
Today the decision whether or not include OTT in the proposal is not the easiest. At Beenius we prepared in a graphic way presenting the difference between traditional Pay-TV market and Over-The-Top solution. In this infographic, you will learn about the situation and developments that are currently going on the OTT market, who are the targeted audience if OTT is offered and why and what are the benefits of the OTT offer.